Monday, July 12, 2010

Caesar Creek Duathlon - race report

Unofficial results from Greg's stopwatch:

5K Run1:  30:22 --- 9:48 min/mile
T1:  1:49
22K (13.6 miles) Bike:  50:22 ---- 16.22 mph average
T2: 1:46
Run2: 34:27 --- 11:07 min/mile

Overall it was a fun day, but I wish I had done better. The weather was good. The bike course was very hilly. The 5K should have been challenging but doable at a faster pace. It just wasn't my day physically I guess. I still had a great time. I just wish I could feel better about the overall performance. 

Greg took pictures again (thanks!)  And Casey and Jannelle came to watch, which was awesome and made the day very fun! 

Walking to the start. I felt fine. But I never really did feel pumped up and "race ready". 

At the duathlon start line. 

View of the group of the duathletes. Hard to tell how many people did the du...maybe 100?

View of the swim start.

Starting...hopeful and calm.

Coming into transition after the first run. I was so slow. I was hoping mile markers were marked wrong. Not sure why, but I just couldn't go any faster. 

Leaving on the bike...(and wooowooo look at that guy in the background! Vest and no shirt, lol.) I was prepared to start feeling better about myself with a kick-ass bike race. The course womped me though. It was hard to tell how I was doing because my speeds varied so greatly. 35 mph down hills....5 - 10 mph up some of the big climbs. 

Coming into transition after the bike. I got a bad calf cramp in the last mile, which was thankfully downhill so I could just slowly spin and work it out.

Ballet-like dismount. I have no idea why I got off the bike this way, as I have never done it like this and I'm always afraid I am going to fall. I think I saw the person in front of me and just did it without thinking. Which I suppose proves I can in fact dismount properly without falling.

Ouch - clomp - ouch - clomp

Heading out for the final legs weren't moving well at all. It was a shuffle for the first mile.

Uuugggg...almost there...

The finish line. It was a meager push to the end. I was exhausted. That woman behind me - we kept playing leap frog on the bike. Actually I played leap frog with a few ladies out on the bike course. I would always pass on the down hills and then be passed on the up hills. A sign my legs weren't performing well I guess.

So, that's it. Nearly 2 hours. Not my best for sure, but there's always the next race.


Anonymous said...


Butch said...

Not your day but a good time by all intensive purposes.

KimZepp said...

Nice work! On my way down to the beach, I stopped at the Du start to try to find you, but I guess I wasn't successful. :( I wish I had known you were wearing yellow. I think I would have had better luck picking you out!
I'm sure I wasn't done until long after you finished and left. My wave didn't start until after 8:30 and I took about 3 hours.

Steph said...

Thanks, Kim! Yeah, I kept my eye out for someone blond that looked like they might be heading down to the beach, but man, there were a lot of people there! lol. I hope you had a great race! This was your second Oly? I hope you had a lot of fun!! I'll look to your blog for a report :)

Deanna@MilesToRun said...

I just happened upon your blog. Great job on the duathlon. Personally, I am not a biker and I don't know how you do run/bike/run! Awesome! Great blog.

Anonymous said...

"intensive purposes", bwahaha, just kidding. but it really is "for all intents and purposes"