Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Run in the Sun/Shade

Tonight after work I ran from the studio down to the trail. I did intervals of speedy(ish) running. After warming up for about 9 minutes, I ran hard for 2 minutes. Then easy for 2 minutes. I did this 3 times and was at my turnaround point. After turning around I ran easy for a few minutes, trying to recover. Then I decided I would do the same thing only for shorter time, as my breathing was not allowing me to push very hard. So I did 1 minute hard, 1 minute easy twice. After that I just ran easy the rest of the way back to the park to the water fountain. Then I ran back to the studio.

Greg was out on the trail at the same time with our friend Roman. Those speedsters are way faster than me (especially Roman who just did a 5K in 20:02) so I can't run with them. I left the studio before they did and we saw each other on the trail after I had turned around- they were still heading out. On my way back, I really really really didn't want them to pass me. Before I turned off the trail back onto the streets, I saw them and thought for sure they'd catch me, but they didn't. I guess I was far enough in front. Tee hee. Not that it would have really mattered. Just more for my confidence than anything else.

There were a lot of people on the trail tonight, especially cyclists, which makes me want to go for a ride. I think I'll bring my bike to the studio tomorrow and go some time during the day for a bit. I need to get the butt used to the saddle again - it's been way too long!

One more thing of note while on the trail. I saw many runners while I was out there. There is usually an exchange of the head nod or a quick, grunted 'hi' to acknowledge one another. Well, one runner that I met going the opposite direction went beyond this. He took the trouble to clap and say nice job to me as we passed. It took me by surprise, as I was just about to nod his direction. But after that I couldn't help but smile huge. Thanks Mr. Encouraging Runner Dude!

No comments: