Friday, June 6, 2008

Bam! Heat Wave

So yesterday I think it broke 90º... a little warm and very muggy for the beginning of June. A perfect day to do a tempo exercise, right? - cue annoying that-answer's-wrong buzzer sound -
And if this is any indication of how the summer is going to be... well... yikes.

I was just supposed to do a 45 min run with a 15 minute tempo pace in there. After warming up (and I do mean warming up) I tried to pick up the pace, but I could only hold it for 6 mintues. I was dying. So the tempo run turned into a modified speedish session? and I ran two more sets lasting 5 minutes at my pace, walking in between. Then I shuffled home for another 15 minutes. Grueling, even though most of it was in the shade.

I took a cold shower and then laid on the floor with an ice pack on my head. I felt fine, but the ice pack just felt so good! The heat really isn't a problem for me, once I'm used to it. But I'm obviously not used to it yet.

Tomorrow's run (thankfully just long and slow) will have to be done early while it's still somewhat cool. Summer is here, despite what the calendar says!

2 comments:

Erin said...

It's raining and much cooler today! I tilled my garden in the heat yesterday and nearly passed out a couple times. I can't imagine how you made it through that run!

E-Speed said...

this heat is killer! Thursday I felt like I was going to suffocate. Not sure if it was cooler this morning or if I am finally acclimating but it felt a bit better out even though I was drenched at the end of my run.

Hope the long run goes well!