Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The New Year: here is 2012

What's a running blog without a new year post? It's the 10th already, so I had better get this one underway!

I have a lot of goals for fitness and my life activities this year. I have been reading about the Olympic marathon trials going on in Houston and it has been nothing but inspiring. One of the common interview prompts for the runners is: "Tell us about a typical day of your life." Reading about the dedication these people have to their full time jobs, families and running is amazing and humbling. I'm only a recreational runner, but the lesson is applicable to everything: You get out of it what you put into it.

When I started my own company, I quickly enjoyed the freedom of schedule. And just as instantly, I was introduced to the burdon of balance. Keeping my drive in check didn't happen this year. I forgot that no one is going to put limits on anything except me. And so, I have been operating like a go-kart with its governor removed.

Looking back on 2011, it is apparent that the many activities and hobbies I love to do have been left dusty in a closet, lonely on a shelf or waiting for me while I sleep off exhaustion. But, I think there is a shockingly simple solution to this problem. I need to work less. Then, with the right balance, which I let go so wrong these past months, I will enjoy the activities I love to do and live the life I'd like to live.

No comments: