Friday, November 16, 2007

My foot is not feeling well.

Bad news for me. I have a foot pain that is keeping me from running (and walking really). It's the bottom of my heel. I'm pretty certain it's plantar fasciitis (PLAN-tur fas-e-I-tis). Looking back over the past few weeks, I've just started running again, stood for many many hours barefoot on our hardwood while doing the closets (an acknowledged how sore my feet were), and took an intense cycle class. OH! And dancing in heels at the FRCH anniversary party- I almost forgot how sore my feet were after that! After reading the Mayo Clinic link, I'm pretty sure this is my problem.

:(

So, it's time for me to learn how to swim! That will be a good break for my heel. And though the Mayo Clinic site says you can replace running with cycling also, I think I'll steer clear of the intense classes. I do think I kind of strained my Achilles tendon during the class. I could probably just do the regular stationary bikes and control my own intensity while still trying to build up my leg muscles.

The good news is it does seem very controllable and it's not like I'll never run again. I just need to take more care in stretching and paying attention to how my feet feel. I want to say I've had this same pain before, but in such a light way that I didn't pay much attention to it, as it certainly didn't hurt so bad I couldn't walk right. I think I'll be wearing my shoes in the house for awhile too. I should invest in some Crocs- every year I say I need a "house shoe" because my feet always hurt from the hard floors.

So, swimming... I loved going to the pool in college! I don't really know what I'm doing though. That breathing to the side thing is really hard to do without taking a drink. I'll try to read up on some pointers online that might help. I don't think the gym offers free swim lessons for adults.

3 comments:

Butch said...

I had the old heel spur thing. Removed and feeling fine now. Hardwood floors, barefoot in the backyard are both links to sore feet. Shoes that support and are soft will help. If it is the sore tendon thing, do the exercises that are recommended but don't over do it.

jamie said...

Take good care of those feet! You're going to need them when you come visit :)

Hope you're feeling better.

Erin said...

1. Birkenstocks. Not Crocs.

2. Sunday yoga. You & me. Sundays. 11am. (good stretching for feet - down dog!)

3. I guess this means no Jingle Bell Run?